Tour of Britain: Van der Poel wins final stage to claim overall victory
Our partners use technologies, such as cookies, and collect info to provide you with the ideal internet experience and to personalise the information and advertisements shown to you.
Please let us know if you agree.
As he sprinted to victory in the stage from Altrincham to 22, mathieu van der Poel won the Tour of Britain.
The 24-year-old Dutchman claimed his third stage victory from compatriot Cees Bol.
Matteo Trentin came third, which Van der Poel ended 17 seconds clear.
“I was focused on the line and think I timed it perfectly,” said Van der Poel.
Speaking to ITV Sport, he added:”I was fairly confident I could hold the guys around me however, you cannot respond to everyone. There were perhaps.
“But in the long run I did a perfect job and the group did a great job.”
Mitchelton-Scott rider Trentin claimed the points jersey while Britain’s Jacob Scott was appointed King of the Falls despite missing out on the classification.
Ben Swift was named best British riders along with his Team Ineos asserting the club award.
1. Mathieu van der Poel (Ned/Corendon-Circus) 3hrs 49mins 26secs
2. Cees Bol (Ned/Team Sunweb) Same Moment
3. Matteo Trentin (Ita/Mitchelton-Scott)
4. Mike Teunissen (Ned/Jumbo-Visma)
5. Davide Cimolai (Ita/Israel Cycling Academy)
6. Sacha Modolo (Ita/EF Education First)
7. Nils Eekhoff (Ned/Sunweb)
8. Jasper De Buyst (Bel/Lotto Soudal)
9. Xandro Meurisse (Bel/Wanty-Gobert)
10. Danilo Wyss (Swi/Dimension Data)
1. Mathieu van der Poel (Ned/Corendon-Circus) 29hrs 47mins 41secs
2. Matteo Trentin (Ita/Mitchelton-Scott) +17secs
3. Jasper de Buyst (Bel/Lotto-Soudal) +50secs
4. Pavel Sivakov (Rus/Ineos) +52secs
5. Nils Politt (Ger/Katusha-Alpecin) +1minutes 1secs
6. Gianni Moscon (Ita/Ineos) Same Moment
7. Mike Teunissen (Ned/Jumbo-Visma) +1minutes 3secs
8. Andrey Amador (Crc/Movistar) +1min 4 secs
9. Tiesj Benoot (Bel/Lotto-Soudal) +1min 7 secs
10. Amund Grondahl Jansen (Nor/Jumbo-Visma) +1 min 8 secs
They are going to help take your match
Road, track, BMX, mountain and a lot more – there are many methods and reasons to begin biking.
Got a cycling race coming up? Ensure you take advantage of your warm up for this guide.
Read more here: http://ucemadrid.com/?p=2326